Resin Infiltration SpecialistSan Francisco, CA
You might think of white-spot lesions on the teeth as untreatable stains, but in truth, they’re an early sign of decay that needs treatment. At the office of Swati Agarwal, DDS, in the Union Square neighborhood of San Francisco, California, you can receive white-spot lesion treatment and protection with ICON resin infiltration. To learn more about the process, call the office or request an appointment online today.
Resin Infiltration Q&A
What is resin infiltration?
Resin infiltration is a minimally invasive cosmetic dental procedure that Dr. Agarwal performs to treat white-spot lesions on teeth. These lesions are different from stains because they’re lighter in color and come from different causes. They’re more than just stains - they’re an early sign of decay. Dr. Agarwal uses ICON resin infiltration to treat and conceal the white spots on your teeth. The treatment is a quick way to remove the outermost layer of enamel and replace it with a more protective resin or porcelain coating.
Can I benefit from resin infiltration?
Resin infiltration is a treatment for white-spot lesions, but you might be wondering what exactly they are and how they got there. While white-spot lesions aren’t too obvious of a cosmetic concern, they are a sign of declining tooth health.
There are a few reasons why you might be seeing an increasing number of white spots on the surfaces of your teeth, including:
- Fluorosis (overexposure to fluoride)
- Enamel hypoplasia (thinning)
- Enamel demineralization
- A low calcium diet
- Poor oral hygiene
- Tooth trauma
Dr. Agarwal helps you explore any behaviors and habits that may have led to the development of white-spot lesions on your teeth. She also walks you through the process of resin infiltration as a treatment for them.
What are the steps of a resin infiltration procedure?
Resin infiltration is a relatively simple procedure that you can complete in one office visit. It’s gentle enough that you shouldn’t need numbing agents, but you can request sedation if you’re nervous about the procedure.
Dr. Agarwal begins the process by thoroughly cleaning your teeth. Next, she carefully removes the outermost layer of tooth enamel that covers the white-spot lesions. This enamel is preventing your teeth from absorbing calcium and other beneficial ions.
After thoroughly drying the prepared teeth, Dr. Agarwal applies resin in small increments to fill and cover the lesions, which effectively replaces the removed enamel. She removes any excess resin and flosses the gaps between your teeth to prevent the treated teeth from bonding together.
Dr. Agarwal cures the resin with a bright light between each layer application. As a final touch, she polishes the teeth. ICON resin infiltration results last for six years or longer, and you may or may not need a re-application.
If you see white-spot lesions forming on one or more of your teeth, call the office of Swati Agarwal, DDS, or request an appointment online for resin infiltration today.
Quality Dental Services Can Transform Your Smile
By visiting us as soon as possible, our team can help get you the professional treatment you need. Instead of waiting around and allowing the symptoms to get worse, we can provide you with treatment options.
Cosmetic Dentistry Terminology
- Bleachorexia is when people continue to abuse teeth whitening solutions without consulting professionals, causing significant damage to their enamel and gums in the process.
- Cosmetic Dentistry
- Cosmetic dentistry is generally used to refer to any dental work that improves the appearance (though not necessarily the function) of a person’s teeth, gums and/or bite.
- Dentin Hypersensitivity
- Dentin hypersensitivity is when the enamel wears down on the tooth enough that the dentin faces exposure and will cause great levels of pain when a person applies pressure to the tooth or drinks hot/cold beverages.
- Hydrogen Peroxide
- Hydrogen peroxide is a chemical compound in teeth whitening solutions that patients use to whiten the shade of their teeth.
- Stained Dentin
- Stained dentin can result from certain foods and beverages with a lack of proper brushing. Dental professionals can provide whitening treatments to brighten the teeth.
- Surface Teeth Stains
- While surface teeth stains can be inevitable with age, certain foods and beverages will only promote discoloration and faded teeth.
Call Us Today
Teeth whitening is a safe and effective way to achieve the smile that you have always wanted. Swati Agarwal, DDS can help. Call us today at 415-952-1149 to learn more about our services or schedule an appointment.
Helpful Related Links
- American Dental Association (ADA). Glossary of Dental Clinical Terms. 2021
- American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry® (AACD). Home Page. 2021
- WebMD. WebMD’s Oral Care Guide. 2021
About our business, license, and website security
- Swati Agarwal, DDS was established in 2018.
- We accept the following payment methods: American Express, Cash, Check, Discover, MasterCard, and Visa
- We serve patients from the following counties: San Francisco County, Marin County, Alameda County, Contra Costa County, Santa Clara County, San Mateo, Napa County, Solano County, and Sonoma County
- We serve patients from the following cities: San Francisco, Brisbane, Daly City, Emeryville, Berkeley, Piedmont, Pacifica, Richmond, San Rafael, and Tiburon
- CA (License #62645). View License Information and Specifics
- National Provider Identifier Database (1528491388). View NPI Registry Information
- Norton Safe Web. View Details
- Trend Micro Site Safety Center. View Details
Are Veneers Only For Front Teeth?
Most dentists offer dental veneers as a treatment option for people in need of tooth repair. This is a popular choice among many patients because the results are durable and attractive. While these restorations can be used to treat a variety of issues, they are more appropriate in certain situations.Dental veneers are an excellent option…
Can Veneers Cover Receding Gums?
Thin, tooth-colored shells called veneers can be attached to the front of individual teeth to cover up imperfections or cracks. Used for both oral health and cosmetic purposes, patients often opt for this form of restoration to vastly improve a smile. Some people wonder if the shells can go a step further and also help…
Describing Your Tooth Pain To An Emergency Dentist
An emergency dentist is a practitioner who provides relief to patients with an immediate dental concern. Emergency dental patients are almost always walk-in patients who need prompt treatment. Often, emergency dentists have availabilities the same day for patients experiencing an emergency. While emergency dentists can provide any oral health concern, they often treat dental abscesses,…
How Long Does The Veneer Procedure Take?
For dental patients wanting minor corrections to cosmetic issues, veneers offer a quick and easy solution by covering the fronts of teeth with a thin shell. Placing these restorations is typically done in three stages and takes around three weeks. It is relatively simple and generally does not involve intense preparation on the patient's part.…
How Dental Veneers Can Improve The Look Of Your Smile
Dental veneers, artificial shells that go over teeth, can improve your smile in many ways, from concealing irremovable stains to filling in gaps between teeth. Some procedures are only to change the appearance of a smile, while others can also provide a stronger defense against oral issues and infections. Whatever a patient’s personal needs, it…