Resin Infiltration SpecialistSan Francisco, CA
You might think of white-spot lesions on the teeth as untreatable stains, but in truth, they’re an early sign of decay that needs treatment. At the office of Swati Agarwal, DDS, in the Union Square neighborhood of San Francisco, California, you can receive white-spot lesion treatment and protection with ICON resin infiltration. To learn more about the process, call the office or request an appointment online today.
Resin Infiltration Q&A
What is resin infiltration?
Resin infiltration is a minimally invasive cosmetic dental procedure that Dr. Agarwal performs to treat white-spot lesions on teeth. These lesions are different from stains because they’re lighter in color and come from different causes. They’re more than just stains - they’re an early sign of decay. Dr. Agarwal uses ICON resin infiltration to treat and conceal the white spots on your teeth. The treatment is a quick way to remove the outermost layer of enamel and replace it with a more protective resin or porcelain coating.
Can I benefit from resin infiltration?
Resin infiltration is a treatment for white-spot lesions, but you might be wondering what exactly they are and how they got there. While white-spot lesions aren’t too obvious of a cosmetic concern, they are a sign of declining tooth health.
There are a few reasons why you might be seeing an increasing number of white spots on the surfaces of your teeth, including:
- Fluorosis (overexposure to fluoride)
- Enamel hypoplasia (thinning)
- Enamel demineralization
- A low calcium diet
- Poor oral hygiene
- Tooth trauma
Dr. Agarwal helps you explore any behaviors and habits that may have led to the development of white-spot lesions on your teeth. She also walks you through the process of resin infiltration as a treatment for them.
What are the steps of a resin infiltration procedure?
Resin infiltration is a relatively simple procedure that you can complete in one office visit. It’s gentle enough that you shouldn’t need numbing agents, but you can request sedation if you’re nervous about the procedure.
Dr. Agarwal begins the process by thoroughly cleaning your teeth. Next, she carefully removes the outermost layer of tooth enamel that covers the white-spot lesions. This enamel is preventing your teeth from absorbing calcium and other beneficial ions.
After thoroughly drying the prepared teeth, Dr. Agarwal applies resin in small increments to fill and cover the lesions, which effectively replaces the removed enamel. She removes any excess resin and flosses the gaps between your teeth to prevent the treated teeth from bonding together.
Dr. Agarwal cures the resin with a bright light between each layer application. As a final touch, she polishes the teeth. ICON resin infiltration results last for six years or longer, and you may or may not need a re-application.
If you see white-spot lesions forming on one or more of your teeth, call the office of Swati Agarwal, DDS, or request an appointment online for resin infiltration today.
Quality Dental Services Can Transform Your Smile
By visiting us as soon as possible, our team can help get you the professional treatment you need. Instead of waiting around and allowing the symptoms to get worse, we can provide you with treatment options.
Cosmetic Dentistry Terminology
- Bleachorexia is when people continue to abuse teeth whitening solutions without consulting professionals, causing significant damage to their enamel and gums in the process.
- Cosmetic Dentistry
- Cosmetic dentistry is generally used to refer to any dental work that improves the appearance (though not necessarily the function) of a person’s teeth, gums and/or bite.
- Dentin Hypersensitivity
- Dentin hypersensitivity is when the enamel wears down on the tooth enough that the dentin faces exposure and will cause great levels of pain when a person applies pressure to the tooth or drinks hot/cold beverages.
- Hydrogen Peroxide
- Hydrogen peroxide is a chemical compound in teeth whitening solutions that patients use to whiten the shade of their teeth.
- Stained Dentin
- Stained dentin can result from certain foods and beverages with a lack of proper brushing. Dental professionals can provide whitening treatments to brighten the teeth.
- Surface Teeth Stains
- While surface teeth stains can be inevitable with age, certain foods and beverages will only promote discoloration and faded teeth.
Call Us Today
Teeth whitening is a safe and effective way to achieve the smile that you have always wanted. Swati Agarwal, DDS can help. Call us today at 415-952-1149 to learn more about our services or schedule an appointment.
Helpful Related Links
- American Dental Association (ADA). Glossary of Dental Clinical Terms. 2021
- American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry® (AACD). Home Page. 2021
- WebMD. WebMD’s Oral Care Guide. 2021
About our business, license, and website security
- Swati Agarwal, DDS was established in 2018.
- We accept the following payment methods: American Express, Cash, Check, Discover, MasterCard, and Visa
- We serve patients from the following counties: San Francisco County, Marin County, Alameda County, Contra Costa County, Santa Clara County, San Mateo, Napa County, Solano County, and Sonoma County
- We serve patients from the following cities: San Francisco, Brisbane, Daly City, Emeryville, Berkeley, Piedmont, Pacifica, Richmond, San Rafael, and Tiburon
- CA (License #62645). View License Information and Specifics
- National Provider Identifier Database (1528491388). View NPI Registry Information
- Norton Safe Web. View Details
- Trend Micro Site Safety Center. View Details
Maybe you want to straighten your teeth, but you are looking for a more discreet method like Invisalign®. These aligners have exploded in popularity because they are a less obvious way to correct misaligned teeth. Many people with alignment issues who were unsure about braces have now embraced Invisalign. You might be on the fence…
Invisalign® aligners work most effectively when you are consistent with using them. While that sounds simple, there are a lot of ways you might struggle with developing a routine. One of the reasons people like Invisalign aligners so much is because the trays are removable and customizable. But these things can also work against you…
A lot of people wonder if teeth straighteners like Invisalign® and playing sports are compatible. If you are active and involved in sports, you might think teeth straighteners and physical activity cannot mix. But many older teens and adults successfully use Invisalign while continuing to play sports. You may not want to choose between improving…
A smile makeover is not as difficult to achieve as some people might think. Even simple treatments can improve the appearance of a smile. With the widely available cosmetic dentistry technology today, a beautiful smile may be just around the corner. The first step in any smile makeover is to follow proper oral hygiene at home.…
There are so many differences between traditional braces and Invisalign® aligners. You may be wondering which option is right for your alignment needs and if you will have to change your lifestyle. Many people choose to go through the Invisalign process because the trays are less conspicuous than traditional braces. Traditional braces can be very…